Saturday, June 24, 2006

Show and Tell

If Descartes were alive today, do you think he’d say “I Google, therefore I am?” Hmmm. No, not quite passive enough. More like, “I can be Googled, therefore I must exist.”

While I am irritated with aspects of Google (am on AAP board--Association of American Publishers--copyright issues, lawsuits, etc.) that doesn't take away from the delightful sense of arrival in seeing my blog appear on a Google search.

I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge those pioneers of the Early Days of my blogging infancy. I think my first appearance was in Harlequin Blaze author Jill Shalvis’s Blog (scroll down to photo about 1/2 way. July 28, 2005. Cute, eh? When you reach the bears you have gone too far. Are you listening Timothy Treadwell?) James Pearson of Audible.com, Silhouette Intimate Moments author Suzanne McMinn and I sat together for a very enjoyable eHarlequin lunch at the Reno RWA. Naturally those eHarlequin authors were totally web savvy and taught me a thing or two!

Then of course there was the always ahead-of the-curve Literary Agent Irene Goodman’s invitation to guest blog on her site to introduce the New Business team.

Now there is an ever expanding circle of bloggers and websites that are connecting us so amazinginly by our mutual interests and shared passions. My first link—and let me tell you, I was as excited as though it was my first date—was Mills & Boon Historical author Michelle Styles.

Let me just correct that analogy. I don't think I ever was really asked out on a date, now that I think about it, so this really was VERY exciting! There was that warm fuzzy moment, like being picked to be on the team.

Other front runners in the blogsphere were Harlequin Blaze author Jill Monroe, Silhouette Intimate Moment author Loreth Anne White, Silhouette Desire author Nalini Singh and HQN author Beth Ciotta. It's a pleasure to be part of the team. Many authors have experienced this for years with listserves, chat rooms and email loops, but it is very cool to be part of this virtual circle, expanding and connecting us.

I was thinking of people going off to "find themselves" and realizing what an impossible task that is. We only have to look at the connections we make to realize we are a thousand selves, aren't we?

No comments: